Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Easy Does It

This is Shayla's theme during and after each chemo treatment. Shayla is so worn out physically from her bone marrow being wiped out to nothing that much of her time is spent on the couch watching t.v. or in bed resting. Thanks to many of you who have sent suggestions for funny movies. We have been reminded of some good ones, and introduced to other funny movies we had never heard of. It's a sad commentary that to find a funny, 'clean' movie one must go back a long time in most cases! I think Shayla's favorites have been those with horses in them.

The thing which is most worrisome with regard to Shayla this week is her lack of appetite. She must be coaxed and prodded to drink and eat these days, which I understand is a result of the medications. I will be glad to have my school work done for the semester so I can be more vigilent with her at home and be the soft nag to get fluids and nutrition in her. Once she has food in front of her, she is more apt to eat, so there will be more 'snack foods' in her reach to encourage some steady grazing. Maybe I can tell her she can act like a horse out in the pasture?! I know she wants to go riding this week if she is up to it, so she will need to build her strength to accomplish that goal.

The rest of the family is having their own struggles dealing with Shayla's cancer and treatment. We have a defiant one, a whiny one, a sullen one, and everything in between. We pray for the wisdom to help each other make it through this ordeal and end up stronger and more unified on the other side of this.

Coping:
Shayla is coping by being herself. She is a strong young woman handling this experience with more grace than I think many would. She doesn't complain, even though it stinks that she has this life 'interruption'. She doesn't wish it on someone else, either. I have yet to hear her say, "Why me?" Keep her in your daily prayers, please. As strong as she appears on the outside, I think on the inside there is still a 13-year old young lady frustrated, sometimes discouraged, and sometimes feeling all alone in this large family of hers. This is her experience, one that no matter how much we want to understand completely, without personal experience it is impossible to fathom all she is thinking, feeling and experiencing. It is a humble reminder that there is One who knows what Shayla is going through. So, even in those days yet ahead, when the trial seems too difficult to handle, when nothing anyone can do seems to help, we know, and hope Shayla will always know and remember, that our Savior is there to lift her and help.

Like Ships...
The days Shayla goes in for chemo are the hardest for me because Jase and I don't get to connect with each other. He does so much in taking care of the rest of the family (which is no small task!) while I get to be with Shayla, then he takes over staying with her at the hospital on the days when I need to go to work. When we get to bring Shayla home it is usually either my day at work or Jase's, so we really are like ships passing, night or day. Time to get creative in finding ways to be there for each other, even when circumstances won't allow it!

So, we move on to another day, thankful to have had today to rejoice in the little things (no vomitting, no headaches, etc.). Heavenly Father has blessed our today.

1 comment:

Sandy said...

I am grateful that ya'll have made this wonderful blog for your family and friends. As I read the stories of Shayla's journey along with her family I am honored and blessed to call you friends. :) Proverbs 3:5-6 "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." We may not have all the answers right now but life is a journey and we are to take it one day at a time. May the Lord continue to bless this family. We love each and everyone one you. Give Shayla a hug from us and we will continue to pray for her as well as the rest of the family. Love to you all!!

Rya, Sandy and Adrian :)


Shayla and Elloryn with Make-A-Wish CEO Toreen
"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." Christopher Robin

Shayla, everyday, every minute, remember that there are many people all over this country who believe about you the same thing Christopher Robin believed about Pooh! AND, we all love you more!!

Dr. Chang poses with Shayla

Dr. Chang poses with Shayla
Happy Halloween, Shayla!

Fifth Place

Fifth Place
4-H competition in Brainerd, MN 2007

Followers


Shayla's Nurses and Aids

  • Bobbi,Sharon, Jim, Kelli, Kim, Jenna, Kelci, Scott, Ben,Mary, Mary D.,Kelly, Barbara, Nick, Elizabeth, Kate, Mandie, Meredyth, ETC...