Wednesday, April 23, 2008

20% "Reduction in Forces" Causes Much Rejoicing!

That's right, a 'Reduction in Force' has affected our family in a big way--the best way: Dr. Beck said by her physical observation this morning, it appears the tumor located immediately within the nasal cavity has shrunk a whoppin' 20% already!! This is miraculous news, no doubt! Especially since Dr. Chang's original conservative estimate of shrinkage could take place within 1-2 MONTHS of Shayla starting chemotherapy treatment! Shayla said this morning as we headed to Dr.Beck's office, "Mom, (*sniff*) I can breathe from both sides of my nose today" --said with a grin. Who would have thought one could be so happy about a function most of us take for granted every day?!

Last night's fever broke quickly and completely with no relapse today. Maybe Shayla will be able to go to classes a bit tomorrow again. However, she has mentioned an interesting phenomenon: she says there are just too many people at school, thus making lots of noise. I don't know if the medications she is on makes her senses (particularly hearing) more heightened or not, but at the least it is something she is noticing. Shayla says all the noise wears her out and makes her tire more easily. I can relate to that, can't you?

Jase gives Shayla her daily Neupogen injection when he returns from work. He put together a medication tracking sheet for us to use, as well, so we don't have to rely on a small notepad to keep us on track with Shayla's meds. That reminds me, I think Shayla needs another antibiotic...best go get that done now!

Today we are thankful for Shayla's smile and her return of wit. Just in time to start Round Two.

Speaking of Round Two: I wrote yesterday of the new schedule Shayla will move into with the next two treatments. As I consider this change I am thinking that Heavenly Father has His hand in this, too. It will probably work out best for our whole family to have this new schedule. And, Shayla will probably fair better having the weekend either at the end or in the middle of each treatment, giving her lots of time to recover and try to get some schooling in! (I know, not what she wants to do, but there are only 32 days of school left!)

Shayla and Elloryn with Make-A-Wish CEO Toreen
"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." Christopher Robin

Shayla, everyday, every minute, remember that there are many people all over this country who believe about you the same thing Christopher Robin believed about Pooh! AND, we all love you more!!

Dr. Chang poses with Shayla

Dr. Chang poses with Shayla
Happy Halloween, Shayla!

Fifth Place

Fifth Place
4-H competition in Brainerd, MN 2007

Followers


Shayla's Nurses and Aids

  • Bobbi,Sharon, Jim, Kelli, Kim, Jenna, Kelci, Scott, Ben,Mary, Mary D.,Kelly, Barbara, Nick, Elizabeth, Kate, Mandie, Meredyth, ETC...