It was a week ago today that I drove the same road, rode the same elevator and walked the same halls back to the peds (pronounced 'peeds') annex and was given a brief yet strong epiphany that I had not ever walked that path alone during the past seven months. It was profoundly emotional for me as I walked past the Ronald McDonald House children's play room, and then around the first nurses' station. The realization hit me: it won't be long and our feet will not need to walk these halls as chemotherapy patient/parents/family. God has carried us through!
October 27-31:
This was the Best Week Ever! Shayla endured each day with a smile and was actually 'chatty' with the nurses. She was so at ease that we were able to leave her sleep alone at the hospital and return to our own bed for the night. Let me tell you what, hospitals could do much better in their choice of sleeping accommodations for the parents of patients! It was quite comical to walk into the hospital with our feather body pillow to use as an extra mattress. It helped a little, but not much.
She's finished chemo. I still can't believe it. The strange thing is, being on 'this side' of her treatment and looking back, it seems like the past 7 months have really gone by quickly. However, standing at the starting line it sure looked like an ominous task, and almost insurmountable! The days that were bad were really bad, but even those were few compared to other patients' we have met along the way.
Speaking of others we have met; there are too many! Too many children being diagnosed with cancer of any kind, but especially right here in our valley. Why? Someone should really investigate it... Nonetheless, here we are. We have had the opportunity to share a burden and hopefully lift the weight of it just a little because we had a shoulder to lend (you know, the one we hadn't already cried on ourselves!). There is an awesome strength on the oncology annex unit of the pediatrics department: families helping families.
Nothing but good weather ahead!
There are still scans and regular check-ups; the frequency of which I still don't know for sure, but these will be 'cake'. No need to check in to the hospital for a week at a time. No need to arrange care for the rest of the family while Jase or I are with Shayla. We can almost get back to being our (ab)normal selves again!
Thanks Giving:
Too many. If I try to list the names of all the people who have lifted us and helped during this ordeal, I am sure I will leave someone out. I can't do that to you, especially, so please know that our prayers of gratitude include each of you. Thank You! As soon as Shayla's platelet and neutrophil counts are high and strong again we are going to have a great celebration to which everyone is invited. Be watching, it won't be far off....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Shayla and Elloryn with Make-A-Wish CEO Toreen
"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." Christopher Robin
Shayla, everyday, every minute, remember that there are many people all over this country who believe about you the same thing Christopher Robin believed about Pooh! AND, we all love you more!!
Shayla, everyday, every minute, remember that there are many people all over this country who believe about you the same thing Christopher Robin believed about Pooh! AND, we all love you more!!
Dr. Chang poses with Shayla
Happy Halloween, Shayla!
Fifth Place
4-H competition in Brainerd, MN 2007
Followers
Children's Hospital
Shayla's Nurses and Aids
- Bobbi,Sharon, Jim, Kelli, Kim, Jenna, Kelci, Scott, Ben,Mary, Mary D.,Kelly, Barbara, Nick, Elizabeth, Kate, Mandie, Meredyth, ETC...
No comments:
Post a Comment