Friday, June 6, 2008

Time keeps on slippin'...into the future

Those of you reading this who are my age will probably remember the song relating to the title of this blog entry. I am flabbergasted at how quickly the time is moving! It seems we just get going 'back to normal' and it is time to be planning on the next trip to the hospital! I am so far behind in regular life these days.



Let me get you all caught up with the medical side of things. I know Shayla keeps you all abreast of the more important stuff like horse rides and such.


Hands and Feet

We asked the doctor about Shayla's heel pain the next clinic visit we had and the consensus is neuropathy, a firing of the nerves as a result of her chemo medications. Unfortunately, this could last awhile. But again, Heavenly Father has been kind and good and heard the many prayers because the heel pain has subsided. She now has callouses where tender, painful pads once were. I think I need to get the pumice stone out and get her a pedicure!


The blisters on her hands turned out to be 'as a result of the chemo' as well. I am beginning to see a pattern here. Everything that is odd is because of the chemo. Gratefully there were no dire diagnoses where there could have been. The dermatologist prescribed a steroid cream to alleviate the problem. Funny thing is, timing was not on our side last week (actually, it probably was, considering the end result...) The pharmacy wasn't able to fill the prescription right away and I didn't have time (or gas!) to make a return trip that day. We weren't able to go the next day (Saturday) during open hours, Sunday the pharmacy was closed, and by Monday, Shayla's hands were back to normal. Go figure! So, I made a decision (after asking a pharmacist about it) and didn't fill the prescription after all. We are grateful for these little blessings which are actually big blessings since we don't have to have more procedures or tests done. Shayla continues to take it all in stride, but it does wear on her spirit at times. 'Normal' is such a far away condition, yet if we ponder it a bit, we might all come to the realization that none of us are 'normal' and that is probably one of the grandest designs God had in placing us all here together!


No news yet on Phase 2

The latest word from Dr. Chang is that the ''heads at Boston' have not yet met to discuss Shayla's case, and thus have not made any recommendations. However, I have received some information I believe was 'higher Up' which has given me peace on the matter, at least for now.


On the 31st of May, we had a BIG benefit yard sale for Shayla. Many people contributed items and a few blessed hands help set up and take down the day's wares. Aside from the wonderful monetary result of that day, I met a couple who live near our home, but strangers. The gentleman heard me talking with another patron of our sale about Shayla's treatment and the term 'Proton Beam Therapy', so when he had a chance to approach me, he asked specifically about that. He then told me that his wife underwent Proton Beam Therapy on her eye. Even now as I write this I recall the emotion I felt when I asked "Is she blind?" A pretty blunt question, asked in fear of the response. See, the woman was sitting in her car with dark sunglasses on. But to my surprise, the man responded "not at all" . Can you believe it? More miraculous, this woman had Retinal Cancer. Her proton beam therapy went right into the eye with no blindness at all--6 years ago. She has two minor lasting effects from the treatment: 1) half of her lower lashes on her left eye are permanently gone, and 2) she had minor vision impairment, but she was not wearing glasses.


There were a few other people there who had family members who went through cancer treatment or were undergoing it and they shared their support and their stories. I found many just needed to share their stories. With some, I cried sad tears. With others, hopeful. Shayla was able to be at the sale for a short time so a few people were able to meet her.


Heavenly Father sent some angels that day to help me be at peace until we have the information we need to make decisions regarding Shayla. Now I don't feel like Phase 2 could be so dire.


School's Out...but not quite

The last school bell has rung, but Shayla still has a little bit of work to do. I hate being the bad guy! She has done well and worked hard. By next week, she should have it all finished and looking forward to a great summer--even if a bit modified for now. She is still planning on the youth trek in July. At the rate she is going, I don't see that that will be a problem!

What I've learned (or re-learned) these past two weeks:

  • Time is. I am. We are. Sometimes all three work in harmony, and other times not, but we must all keep on going.
  • Listen for the quiet whisperings of God. You may be an answer to someone's prayer. I was given the sweet opportunity of being that for Shayla last week. I am so glad I listened.
  • I can't be there' for everyone all the time. But there will always be at least one person there for me and I can be there for at least one person every day.
  • My husband is a rock and a giant among men and Dads.
  • Prayer continues to be our greatest source of strength and peace.


No comments:


Shayla and Elloryn with Make-A-Wish CEO Toreen
"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." Christopher Robin

Shayla, everyday, every minute, remember that there are many people all over this country who believe about you the same thing Christopher Robin believed about Pooh! AND, we all love you more!!

Dr. Chang poses with Shayla

Dr. Chang poses with Shayla
Happy Halloween, Shayla!

Fifth Place

Fifth Place
4-H competition in Brainerd, MN 2007

Followers


Shayla's Nurses and Aids

  • Bobbi,Sharon, Jim, Kelli, Kim, Jenna, Kelci, Scott, Ben,Mary, Mary D.,Kelly, Barbara, Nick, Elizabeth, Kate, Mandie, Meredyth, ETC...