It has been several days since any of us posted to update Shayla's current status! Shayla is on the upswing and feeling better a little more everyday. Even her hemaglobin and platelet levels are doing fairly well considering...
More appointments, more doctors...
Tomorrow, 5/16, Shayla will be going to see the Opthalmologist to make sure all is well with her eye. She hasn't had anymore problems since the chemo. A PET scan is scheduled for this coming Monday. I understand it will be a long appointment, around 4 hours! Two hours will be going through the scan itself, the other two are prep and recovery/observation. Right after that appointment she will be heading straight to the cancer clinic to have her blood counts checked again with a possibility of a blood transfusion if her hemaglobin count is at 7 or lower. We are also getting an appointment with Dr. Beck again. Dr. Chang wants her input as a surgeon regarding the next step for Shayla.
At today's lab appointment Shayla's hemaglobin was a 9.4 (or 9.something). Lower than 'normal', but expected for a chemo patient. They offered to give her a transfusion at today's appointment, but Shayla declined. The thought of staying in the clinic for 4 hours for the whole thing must not have been all that exciting to her. Go figure! Even though it may have helped her feel a little less tired, she said no. For my part, I felt like as long as Shayla has the option, she should be able to have a say. I know there could be times during this experience where she won't have a choice, she will need to have a transfusion. So for now, let her say no. It is one small way she can still be in control.
Reflection...
This most recent chemo session was awful. Helpless, exhausted, hurting for our daughter, frustration, even fear. All of those and more were my experiences during the stay at St. Luke's this time. Gradually, however, as family and friends rallied round, and Shayla turned the corner on her way back from the bottom of the pit, I felt reassurance. I knew Shayla was getting better at the hospital when she got impatient with the doctor's late arrival for discharge Sunday morning. It was almost 3:00 p.m. when Dr. Camilo came around. Shayla was mad!! :-) That's our girl!
I didn't realize how stressful the whole thing had been until after we got home. It was 5:30 p.m. when we finally walked in the door. Shayla went to her room to get some quiet rest and I joined the family at dinner. My mom and step-dad were in town for the weekend (thankfully!) and she had a wonderful turkey dinner on the table. As I sat down with the family I was overcome with relief and gratitude that we were both home. As we bowed our heads to pray tears came.
Shayla's strength...
I am amazed at the strength of Shayla. She suffered a lot. She is now bouncing back and trying to be even stronger. I will get a picture posted of her with and without her new wig. She is so beautiful even without her long hair! She doesn't hesitate to face the world without her hair, either.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Shayla and Elloryn with Make-A-Wish CEO Toreen
"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." Christopher Robin
Shayla, everyday, every minute, remember that there are many people all over this country who believe about you the same thing Christopher Robin believed about Pooh! AND, we all love you more!!
Shayla, everyday, every minute, remember that there are many people all over this country who believe about you the same thing Christopher Robin believed about Pooh! AND, we all love you more!!
Dr. Chang poses with Shayla
Happy Halloween, Shayla!
Fifth Place
4-H competition in Brainerd, MN 2007
Followers
Children's Hospital
Shayla's Nurses and Aids
- Bobbi,Sharon, Jim, Kelli, Kim, Jenna, Kelci, Scott, Ben,Mary, Mary D.,Kelly, Barbara, Nick, Elizabeth, Kate, Mandie, Meredyth, ETC...
No comments:
Post a Comment